Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Whimsy

Inspirational song: A Horse With No Name (America)

Six months before we moved back to Colorado, we flew out here from Charleston to close on the mining claim where the cabin is currently under construction. It was mid-December, and as we drove around the rural parts of Boulder County, I kept catching sight of horses with their winter coats growing in. I'm not sure what explains it, but in multiple drives, in different places, I kept seeing tiny ponies and miniature horses, and suddenly I was overwhelmed by the desire to have a shaggy pony of my own to care for and hug. 

We kept driving past a farm named Whimsy, and I giggled relentlessly over that place. I asked what sort of produce is whimsically grown. I decided they must grow persimmons and periwinkle. By the time that trip was over, I had settled on a dream of owning a rural property where I could putter around with my two ponies, Periwinkle and Persimmon. Mr S-P shot that down with the painful truth, "It takes a lot of money to go broke farming in Boulder County." 

This puppy is getting bigger and bigger. She weighed 34 pounds at yesterday's vet visit for her final round of puppy shots. At almost 4 months old, I can project out that she will easily double that weight by the time she is full-grown, and if the fancy food she gets builds strong bones and muscle, she will more than double her size. Her fur is starting to change from short puppy fuzz to the long, wiry coat like her parents have. It leads me to ask, after nearly six years, have I finally gotten my shaggy pony? Stay tuned. We ought to know by Valentines Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment