Monday, November 16, 2020

The Right Way

Inspirational song: How Will I Ever Be Simple Again (Richard Thompson)

In two more days, I get the next round of Botox for migraine. It couldn't come a minute too soon, after how badly that migraine laid me low last week. Ever since, I have felt like my brain is too heavy, and it's just too hard to think. I don't like feeling fuzzy-headed (it's why I don't take many painkillers, despite my chronic pain). The Botox tends to work fairly quickly. A year ago, when I first went back after chemo, I walked in the door with my head throbbing, as it had been for weeks. By the time I was back at the front desk, booking my next appointment, I started feeling fine. If I'm lucky, the brain fog will be dissipated by the time I get back to the parking garage this time around. 

I can't keep track of everything I'm supposed to be doing. I'm behind on a ton of stuff, and I've probably ticked off a fair number of people from forgetting. A couple years ago, I had immense success ordering my life with to-do lists. I detailed them all the way down to check-boxes for daily meds and feeding animals. For the first time in ages, I started another one, but for now it's mostly stuff like paying bills and mailing a package. This is a habit I would like to recover. I already feel better, having just started it maybe two hours ago. I paid two bills and was so happy to mark them off immediately.

The universe has rewarded me already for trying to get my act together. I felt like using a Richard Thompson song for inspiration tonight, so I just googled a list of them. Played one I didn't recognize on YouTube, and the next thing that autoplayed was an hour-long live studio performance for a British TV series. I didn't know this existed. For most of the time I have lived in/had a long-distance association with Boulder, I've been aware that he made regular appearances at Chautauqua auditorium. I always wanted to go, but in decades I never made it to a performance. Now watching this gives me a chance to see what I missed, without having to do the parts of live concerts I don't like, specifically standing or sitting in uncomfortable chairs, spending crap-tons of money on tickets and drinks, and getting intensely tired but not being able to sleep for the ringing in my ears. This is a much better way to watch one of the greatest singer-songwriters of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment