Sunday, November 1, 2020

Murphys

Inspirational song: No Sleep Till Brooklyn (Beastie Boys)

The current incarnation of overwhelming stress and anxiety took the form of compulsive kitchen cleaning. Of all the possibilities, at least this one was productive! 

I didn't stick to the usual easy-reach places. I pulled out the step ladder and Murphys oil soap, and gave the upper cabinets a hard scrub inside and out. I discovered just how much unused space I have up high (three entire empty cabinets!) and now I'm excited about moving things around as I recover my energy. I'm also starting to take a hard look at things I don't use that I want to donate, either to the kids or to the thrift store a few blocks from here. I can't tell you how thrilling it is to have a shot at the big prize: having a kitchen where every single thing has a place and can all be put away at the same time. Someday I will reach that lifetime goal.

I should be passed out by now. I am tired and aching from scrubbing cabinets. But once I got started on dinner dishes before bed, I got a new head of steam, and started in on the microwave and coffee station. I had to pry myself out of there after about half an hour, reminding myself to pace my efforts. I have entered the insomnia phase of the evening now. I've taken a baclofen to no discernable effect, and I'm watching TV and playing slot machine games instead of powering down. Maybe I'll just grab that giant puppy and see how her Emotional Support Animal bona fides are coming along.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment