Friday, November 13, 2020

Entertain Me

Inspirational song: Spooky (Atlanta Rhythm Section)

Don't know about everybody else, but I am finally ready to peel away from doomscrolling and catatonic inertia to experiment with some lighthearted silliness and creative fiction. With nothing more pressing that I wanted to talk about instead, how about I recommend what we have been watching lately?

The Mandalorian is back for a second season. So far there have been three episodes, I think. As escapism, it's great, as long as you don't think too hard about the science. Or the odd interpersonal relationships. Baby Yoda is still cute, but he upset me last week. (Not saying why yet.) Okay, how about a solid B for Mandalorian.

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost have a new series on Amazon called Truth Seekers. It's mostly a vehicle for Nick, with short cameos each episode by Simon. Nick plays a brilliant internet installation tech, who is moonlighting as a ghost hunter. Not sure what I expected. More silliness, probably. There are moments to laugh, in abundance, but I am impressed at how legitimately scary it has been too. The same perfect balance of horror and comedy as Shaun of the Dead, their first huge movie success. I like this one so much I am refusing to binge it. We watch one episode every few days. Easy A, with moments of A+.

And then there is what I am waiting for. For almost two years, I have been following every tiny mention of my favorite romance novel series that is coming to Netflix. We fans were told that Bridgerton would be released "sometime in 2020." Last month they finally announced it would premiere on Christmas day. I am out of my mind happy about this, and I want to bring everyone along with me to it. It's set in Regency England, but it's not your standard Jane Austen type fare. I can't grade something I haven't seen yet, but the books by Julia Quinn are legendary in the romance world. Can't wait.

Man, it's nice to want fiction again.

No comments:

Post a Comment