Friday, January 1, 2021

A Little Luck

Inspirational song: Wouldn't It Be Loverly (My Fair Lady)

Who ate black-eyed peas today? I better see everyone's hands up. Well, except my foster daughter who has a long-established aversion to the texture of beans and peas. But all of the rest of you should have had lucky foods today. We are all in this together, and they are delicious and good for you, even if the luck is more of a tradition than a calculable fact. 

I had the kids over, and those of us who eat meat had ham with our peas and cabbage. The vegetarian had veggie burger patties. I was looking forward to another family meal with the baby in the high chair, participating in conversation. She was tuckered out, and went down for a nap as I was setting the table. It still felt good to sit and eat around the table, a habit we lost long ago. Every once in a while we start doing it, and swear we will keep it up. This is a good time to try again, especially as our granddaughter is growing teeth and getting interested in sharing meals with us.

No matter how much we might wish it, the world doesn't feel different yet. There are still trying times ahead. But for a day, it was nice to speak in hopeful generalities. I'm not ready to make any resolutions. I'm just going to take it a step at a time, and do my best to face the challenges ahead. When it's safe to coast a little, I might. For now, I'm simply determined. No more, no less.

No comments:

Post a Comment