Friday, January 8, 2021

Palate Cleanser

Inspirational song: Living With the Big Lie (Marillion)

Hoping for a break from the unrelenting nightmare that this week has been, I gladly accepted an offer to snuggle with a baby so her mommy would have free hands to do dishes and vacuum. Spending two hours or so with my favorite soon-to-be toddler was just the palate cleanser I needed.

That kid was really on point today. I was encouraged to bring snacks, so that she could have some new taste experiences. We aren't feeding her for primary nutrition, but rather to introduce flavors and to watch for early signs of food sensitivity. This is the opposite school of thought to what I expected, but it has been so long since I was parenting young children, what would I know? It's more fun this way, so I am on board. I brought a gluten-free pizza, a green pepper to slice on top of it, an orange, and a small container of chocolate ice cream. I already knew she digs pizza. I learned that a few days ago. She was less impressed by the kind grandma has to have, but she still accepted a few nibbles. She thought the orange was a little de trop. It wasn't the sweetest one I had ever had. She kept scrunching up her face in the cutest way when the tartness hit her. Ice cream was less dazzling than I expected. Maybe she would like vanilla more. Next time.

She is getting used to the playpen faster than I anticipated. What a relief. She is a prolific crawler, and this keeps her somewhat contained when necessary. She's able to do her own thing, which apparently includes feeding herself baby cheesy poofs. Watching her, I can't help but see that standing without assistance and the first few solo steps are approaching on the horizon. It won't be long. Well before her first birthday, if I'm reading her right. As for the last prediction I made, the one regarding teeth, take a look at her mouth in the first picture below. Do you see what I see?

No comments:

Post a Comment