Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Wrestling With Demons

Inspirational song: Hail to the Chief (James Sanderson)

Contrary to my prediction, I didn't break. I felt my cheeks flush a little bit when Bon Jovi sang "Here Comes the Sun," and I got chills when the Marine band played "Hail to the Chief." But the chills happen at every inauguration, and not once did my eyes even water, much less cry. I'm honestly surprised. I thought I might be one of those people who break down and bawl in catharsis. I figure it has to happen eventually, but who knows what will finally trigger it. For now, my unhealthy hypervigilance continues. 

I couldn't even say I finally took a deep breath today. Shoot, I had a harder time breathing than usual. But there was a logical reason for it. I spent all day wrestling with a rabid gorilla on amphetamines. Or a baby. It was hard to tell exactly which. Either way, I barely survived until she wound down enough to nap. She is cute and all, but she is strong and determined. I'm old and damaged. I'm doomed when she learns to run, aren't I?

The baby hand-off was while we were out and about. My daughter needed a new light for her kitchen, so we tried a couple of stores, and broke down and ate at a restaurant in between them. The baby got to eat some chips, no salsa, and she tried a nibble of the lemon from her mommy's tea. I took twelve photos of that bite in rapid succession, and still missed the initial grimace when the sour hit her. It's a pity. She does seem to like lemons, though. That's good, as we all tend to cook with them a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment