Thursday, January 21, 2021

Friends

Inspirational song: Best Friend (Harry Nilsson)

Today's activities went a long way in fighting pandemic loneliness. Some of it was a little risky, but mitigated as much as is possible. One of my closest friends from Rotary has a birthday this week, so we met at a restaurant that I knew for sure had good social distancing (and gluten-free fried chicken). We sat and talked for a solid two hours, masked except for the time we were eating. This last year has been so hard on all of us, and it isn't going to be significantly better for months. Having one good visit will keep me going until it is finally my turn for the vaccine (my friend has had her first dose).

This evening was the larger group for D&D. It was a rowdy night. Not every game is this active, but it was rather exciting. Let's just say there was a chance to negotiate with a dragon, and it was a hoot. We had to stop before the encounter was concluded, so we have to wait two weeks before we can be certain we have averted disaster.

This is one of those nights when my writing actually sticks to a single theme. The best way I have found to stave off loneliness is to grow myself a whole new best friend. This doofy puppy that I recognized instantly was made for me, when I saw her picture at three weeks old, is now six months old as of today. Next week I take her to be weighed again, and I am confident she will top 50 pounds and be well into the weight class for the next size up in heartworm preventative meds. I've never had a relationship with a dog that was this cuddly. I've had dogs who were sweet and I considered them full members of the family. But I never tried to pick them up and set them in my lap (which is quite a trick with a big honking bruiser like Saoirse). I don't know what I would do without her. It's pretty weird, being a dedicated cat enthusiast, who is so obsessed with a dog she can't stand being away from her for more than an hour or two. This is a once in a lifetime experience for me. For Saoirse too, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment