Sunday, January 30, 2022

Competitors

Inspirational song: Eye of the Tiger (Survivor)

Oddly enough, we all seem to be okay with how today's football games went. Sure, we were all decked out in catsup and mustard colors, woohooing when the Chiefs did good things, and getting quiet and tense when they didn't. But both of the teams the Chiefs faced in the last week were absolutely impressive. We could have accepted a loss from either of them with dignity. Today we had to do that. The Bengals played well, and we suspect they managed to really get inside Mahomes' head. He started making mistakes as the game went on. Once it was over, even our die-hard Chiefs fan neighbor, the one who pulled us all in to his fandom, said he was ready to back the Bengals in the Superbowl. 

I had to leave before the half of the second game. I think I had a bad food reaction, and needed to change into pajamas and watch the rest of the game from bed. I felt like I was being stabbed in the appendix, but I knew it wasn't anything serious. Just gluten. It made it a little difficult to focus on the game, but I still watched it all the way through. I didn't have a dog in that fight. I have always liked Matt Stafford, now the Rams' QB, and I wish him well. I was very impressed a week or so ago when I saw a clip of the 49ers' Deebo Samuel get interviewed by a kid whose stage name is Young Dylan. The kid asked great questions, and the player treated him with respect and acted just like he was being interviewed by an adult. I appreciated the whole exchange, and it was charming enough that I would have been just as happy if they had won today (they didn't).

It is really weird to have the Bengals playing for the title. That hasn't happened in a whole lot of years. It made me start thinking. The Chinese Year of the Tiger starts on Tuesday, right? That's going to be everywhere during the big game, isn't it? If it were me, I would certainly tie in the connection in my marketing. It is impossible that I am the first person to think of it. When it shows up everywhere in the coming week, just remember I was the first one to say it to you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment