Thursday, January 13, 2022

I See

Inspirational song: The Look of Love (ABC)

Going back to a doctor after taking three-plus years between regular checkups is a little embarrassing. I'm supposed to be getting frequent eye exams with an ophthalmologist because of how dangerous my lupus meds are (yet another reason it was a bad thing that it was carelessly sampled by the general population during the early Covid days). I last saw my eye doctor the autumn before I discovered the first breast cancer, so that would be late 2018. I went in today, feeling chagrined that I'd let it go so long, but honestly, a whole lot has happened since then. I was a little distracted. He was gentle in his scolding, saying we practically have to start over from scratch in the monitoring. But nonetheless, he noticed my long absence. 

I fully expected to have my eyes dilated today, but since I have to go back for a more extended field of vision test at a later date, we pushed off dilation until then. (I had to babysit today, so waiting made my afternoon a bit more possible.) He said he saw a small cataract, but since I wasn't dilated, he is waiting for more info to really have a conversation about it. Wow. Suddenly I feel positively geriatric. I do have an updated eyeglasses prescription. Maybe shopping for glasses online, and getting something young and modern looking will me feel like one of the cool kids again.

The baby was here nearly six hours. I'm glad I only had to deal with the lingering sensitivity from the yellow stuff they put in my eyes, and not the extra hassle of pupils that wouldn't cooperate. Val has a lot of energy, and she doesn't cut grandma any slack. We played with toys, drew with crayons, snacked, and climbed on everything. She is big enough to get on the piano bench by herself, but she needed to stand on the blanket she threw on the floor next to it to get up there with stuff in her hands. She's just a little too small to get into the recliner on her own power.

Early in her visit, I turned the bedroom TV on to play Encanto. After her nap, I put the same soundtrack on Spotify on the iPad. She studied it closely, wondering when the movie was going to start. I had to point at the Spotify icon to explain to her that it was just the songs, not the show. I think she was disappointed. That, or she was just filing the information away so she could pull it up at home, since she already knows how to access other albums she likes.

No comments:

Post a Comment