Saturday, January 15, 2022

In My Head

Inspirational song: Surface Pressure (Encanto)

Considering the vast universe of songs that could potentially be stuck in my head, the fact that lately my internal soundtrack is almost entirely songs composed by Lin-Manuel Miranda is really not that bad in the grand scheme of things. It just means my usual methods of getting rid of earworms--playing a song and handing it off to someone else--don't work. I end up playing whole albums, and at best I just substitute a different LMM song for the first one. You just know that once the current ones (Encanto, Moana, Hamilton, etc.) start to fade for me, that guy will come out with something new and get me all spun up again.

This is the year I have promised myself I would finally address the constant tinnitus I have been living with for decades. I won a door prize for a free audio gram and ear plugs at our Rotary Christmas lunch, and I was chatting with the doctor who donated that item last week. He explained tinnitus in such a simple and logical way, I'm kicking myself for always assuming it was something I could never help. I thought I had to live with it forever. Of course, now that it is moving up on the priority list, it is bothering me more than ever. I think it has gotten louder by a factor of ten at this point, just because it is on my mind. I can't just block it out and forget about it. Same goes for the doc last week saying wow your eyes are dry. Now it bugs me, just because he pierced the veil I use to block it out. It's easier to live with these things when I don't have to think about them.

I must have been too active today. Once I settled in to the recliner, all the cats and Saoirse have taken turns crawling all over me (or in Saoirse's case, resting her chin on me and giving me big puppy eyes). There was intense competition to be mommy's lap kitty all evening. I hate to disappoint them, but I kind of like how much I got done today. I hope to do the same tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment