Monday, January 3, 2022

Slick

Inspirational song: Ice Ice Baby (Vanilla Ice)

The monkey's paw curse strikes again. We wished and wished for snow, and fretted the longer it delayed. It finally came, honestly a day late and over a billion dollars short, but that is not what I'm referencing. I now have to contend with the effects of snow: slick roads. 

I guess it was Saturday when I drove up to Walmart, and wondered who smeared lube all over my tires. I drove all of a mile each way, on a modest hill, and it was stressful and sporty. I was just sure today would be a little better, as it was hovering right around freezing, and some of the roads were melting. I learned the hard way there was little improvement, as I was trying to go to a follow-up visit with my GP. I couldn't escape the driveway. It took a half dozen attempts, plus a push from Mr S-P and a random stranger who stopped his car to help get me over the snowplow slush that was keeping me trapped. 

Now I'm stuck in the circumstances of timing. I can't rush out and buy the new car I want. Not yet. It's dependent on selling the house in New Mexico we've been unable to unload for a decade. Our renters move out this week, and it is going on the market asap. Even if the house sells quickly, I won't have resources to swap cars until halfway through snow season. That leaves the problem of tires. My all-seasons are in okay shape. Nothing special. I need to replace my snows, as the old set was worn out. Do I go ahead and buy brand new snow tires, within a couple months of potentially getting a much larger vehicle? Or do I wait, and borrow the Mr's car on snow days when I need to go on the highway, like to this week's sales meeting? I need the tires, but I'm so reluctant to make such a large purchase now.

Naturally, in this situation, I sat and brought up a bunch of websites for vehicles I would like to consider. Not one of the tabs open was for tires.

No comments:

Post a Comment