Thursday, January 20, 2022

Hang In There, Buddy

Inspirational song: The Beat Goes On (Sonny and Cher)

Just like most of the country, nay, most of the world, our little circle is feeling worn out. We postponed our Wednesday game night for weather and health reasons. When we tried to regroup for tonight, while the roads are clear, most of the gang declined. We had folks isolating after travel, and nearly everyone citing some level of fatigue as their reason for not wanting to play tonight. I can't hold it against them. I too am pretty burned out emotionally, socially, and physically. It takes a lot of effort to get anything accomplished, especially if it involves self-directed chores in this house. I can keep appointments, which are mostly for doctors and massages anymore, but give me a to-do list of laundry, dishes, or any other task, and I will just ignore the whole thing and sit around watching YouTube videos instead. I would beat myself up over it, but honestly, life is just so dreary for everyone these days. I am not so different than all of you. I promise to pat you on the back and say, "hang in there, buddy," if you will do it for me. Heck, I'll do it even if you don't return the favor, if you really need a friendly gesture and don't have the emotional energy to do it back. This doesn't have to be transactional.

One friend from the game group needed the weekly opportunity to connect, so we were glad to have him come up and play a round of Wingspan. This was the first time I really started getting the strategy of that game. I'd been on teams before, and I think I played poorly on my own once. I started slow this time, but started figuring it out and finished with dignity (in last place, but with my pride intact). 

I hope we can get our regular game going again soon. Either of the campaigns, really. If we have to go back to remote meetings, that's fine. I miss the long games.

No comments:

Post a Comment