Saturday, September 16, 2023

Chippy

Inspirational song: Heartache Tonight (The Eagles)

As I am beginning to write, my game is only halfway into the second quarter. It took nearly an hour for the first quarter, with all the penalties. I have already taken a pain pill for my back, and at this rate, I really don't think I will still be awake after the game. I'm not going to be able to write final thoughts of who won and how the game went. Heck, I'm not sure I can write this whole blog now, while I'm still listening to the radio broadcast, and the meds start to have their effect.

I can't tell you how many times the announcers have called these two teams "chippy." They are certainly not referring to our mascot Chip. This game is the big in-state rivalry, and this CSU roster has 29 Colorado kids on it, the most of any Division 1 school. They grew up with this rivalry taking up a lot of space in their formative years. CU only has 9 local kids, but the rest of the team understands that this game means something big here. There are a lot of emotions running high, and it has led to mistakes all over the place and heated words and behaviors. CSU had 8 penalties in the first quarter alone, half of them big ones.

CSU has blood in their eyes, so I honestly can't tell you how this game will end. Maybe the first group of young men who settle down and focus will win the day. Halftime coaching might be super important tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment