Friday, September 8, 2023

It's Never Free

Inspirational song: Easy to Be Hard (Three Dog Night)

Oh, it can never be easy, can it? Nothing is free, if they can wring a monthly subscription out of you. I just wanted a way to watch the CU-Nebraska game tomorrow. At first I saw online that it was on Fox Sports. So I downloaded a FSN app. I looked all over it, and could not verify that I would be able to livestream the game for free, even if it said free. In streaming apps, they won't let you have anything for free unless you enter a TV provider, to prove you are paying them for their content one way or another. I guess all those ad revenues are just to pay the executives' bonuses, not to provide free content. 

I pondered getting paid TV again, but I really didn't want to do that. Especially not two days after I committed to spending a whole lot less money for the next six months. I know how much Sling was with the sports package (in the neighborhood of 45-55 bucks a month). I tried to see how much Fubo would have been, and it wouldn't even give me a price quote until it captured my email and zip code. The lowest tier was $89. Yeah, no. That's almost as much as I was paying for DirecTV years ago. Well, 3/4 as much, but bad enough. Now I have emails begging me to finish setting up an account with them. I need to block their address.

I thought maybe Apple TV or Amazon Prime would carry Fox Sports. I gave up Apple last year, and had been using someone else's password on Amazon for a while (erased when I had to replace my Roku box a month ago). It wasn't really easy to Google what channels they offer. I didn't find an FSN option, so I guess no on that.

In my frustration, I started looking harder at the info I had seen on the Fox app. It seemed like they were saying it was on regular broadcast, not their "cable" options. On air TV has been out for me since I rearranged my bedroom. The antenna couldn't reach a window, and I'd only get a few seconds of pixelated signal late at night. I wanted just to find a longer antenna cable, but when I went to Walmart in search of one, I saw nothing of the sort. I threw up my hands in disgust (in my mind--not on Walmart's security cameras), and picked up a new antenna that said it came with a 16 foot cable. The cable is white, so I have run it up from the TV, across the ceiling, and down to hang in the window above my pillows. I tried to use Command hooks to pin it to the ceiling, but I didn't clean it with alcohol first, and the one above the ceiling fan laughed at me and fell off. I'll deal with the cable tomorrow. 

While I was standing on the bed, cursing the Command adhesive, an ad for tomorrow's game came on channel 31 (Denver Fox). I stood and stared at the clear picture, better than it ever was with the old, short-cabled antenna, and knew I'd made the right choice. For this week, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment