Sunday, September 3, 2023

Mummy

Inspirational song: Monster Mash (Bobby "Boris" Pickett & the Crypt Kickers)

Last week when we wandered around Lowe's, I took the kids over to look at Halloween decorations. I thought I'd lessen the impact of tiny kids seeing big spooky monsters by narrating and pointing as we walked between displays. They definitely paid attention to the biggest and scariest ones, watching warily with unblinking eyes. The whole time I kept talking, "Ooh, this one is scary, huh? I'm going to touch it. What do you think, is it spooky? I'll hit the button and let's listen to what it says." Nobody cried, and they got very excited when we got to flash multi-colored light displays. 

Cut to today, walking into Costco. There was an 8-foot tall mummy with flashing eyes and recorded voice. I watched their faces as they observed the scary mummy taunt them. Val loved it. Dmitri was wide-eyed at first. Just as I was starting to say I thought he was scared, he grinned and pointed at it. They made their grandpa loop back to see the mummy three times, and they asked for one more as we were in line to have our receipt checked and leave. So much for Halloween being scary to little kids.

Does this mean we are going to be obligated to get the Home Depot skeleton? Because I'll do it...

(I have video of the kids watching the mummy, not stills. So substitute photo today.)

No comments:

Post a Comment