Saturday, September 2, 2023

Ready for Prime Time Players

Inspirational song: The Bitch Is Back (Elton John)

Putting aside that at the literal level, this is not the same Buffs team, at an emotional and raw skill level, this is not the same Buffs team. The focus, the perseverance, the fearlessness. These were not the kids known for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and committing so many penalties they couldn't get out of their own way. It was a clean game, and they were mentally present from kickoff to the victory formation at the very end. If this is what the Coach Prime era is, we were right to be eager when he was hired. How 'bout them Buffs? 

It feels so good to win for a change. Now, granted, the happy feeling in my tummy that a season-opener win gave me meant that I didn't do what I normally would have, which is channel all my anxiety around the game into cleaning house. I took it easy, and repotted a couple plants, put fresh sheets on the bed, and napped with a cat or two on me. What a lovely Saturday.

We went over to the bonus kids' house to play games and get caught up. They've been too busy to make it to regular game night in person, instead joining by computer. After getting stomped for two hands of Uno, I won my first ever game of classic Ticket To Ride with them. I didn't just win, I won really well. All this winning today. I don't know what to do with it all. 

Sko Buffs!

No comments:

Post a Comment