Monday, September 4, 2023

Smattering

Inspirational song: Speak to Me (Pink Floyd)

Upon review of the photos I took today, I'm finding it hard to believe that all that happened in the last 14 or 15 hours. No wonder I'm staring at a living room covered in kids toys, deciding to let it all just stay there until tomorrow.

I started my morning with a jolt, listening to Athena barf on the flokati runner by my bed. If you're not familiar with that kind of rug, think of the longest shag carpet you've ever seen, triple the length of the fibers, and make it fancy wool. These characteristics are why it is hard to keep clean, and harder to wash when it gets barfed on. It has been several years since I attempted it. I had to fill the bathtub four times over, twice with laundry soap, and twice to rinse, using the sprayer in between. It sort of got clean. We had to drape it over the laundry rack for over an hour, just to get it light enough to carry outside to finish drying. It's still there, and I hope it doesn't rain overnight. I can't imagine doing this with a full-size rug. A runner is plenty.

Having used up all my arm strength early, of course I spent six hours lifting a bag of bricks in the shape of a handsome toddler. We went on a shopping excursion, to Target and Walmart, trying to find replacement tires for Murray's wheelchair. Tires were a no-go, but we did end up filling the cart with kid stuff and car stuff, between the two stores. Grandpa discovered the joy of hunting through the kid clothes section. Maybe now he won't roll his eyes when my daughter and I go overboard doing the same.

Once the kids went home, I indulged in my new joy, podcasts. I have only dabbled in the past, but I'm starting to really get motivated to listen to more. It is so much easier to put one on the phone, shove it in my back pocket, and have soothing voices follow me wherever I go. I still love YouTube, but this allows me to wander around and actually get things done. I ignore too much responsibility when I'm watching videos. This evening I have listened to a panel of witty lawyers and heard the short history of Marilyn Monroe and the archeological site at Sutton Hoo. (I might not have an ADHD diagnosis, but I can sure play at it when given a chance.) 

Even going in to change into jammies for the night reminded me of how busy this day was. I had gotten a fall decor set of curtain lights, tiny leds on garlands of orange leaves. Today I arranged them on the window above my bed, and between that and the set of branches that look like pussy willows with lights in the tips, my room has a glow I've been craving. I love that everyone decorates with fairy lights now, and I don't have to feel like a weirdo for wanting them all year long. They literally light up all the good places in my gremlin brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment