Friday, September 15, 2023

The Happiest Place on Earth

Inspirational song: When the Saints Go Marching In (Louis Armstrong)

Disney World may have the copyright to the name "the happiest place on earth," but you cannot convince me that downtown Boulder couldn't lay claim to the title tonight. Imagine living through two decades of tragically wretched football seasons, and then having Deion Sanders' dream team fall from heaven into our stadium. We have not seen talent and justified swagger like this in more than 30 years. We had some good teams a few times, and several random talented kids go through the program, but there has never been this kind of cohesion and discipline. We all pray the rest of the season lives up to the promise of the first two games. Coach Prime tells us we can count on it. I want to believe.

We all went down to Pearl Street to watch the Stampede, the pep rally before home games. I was reminded that this was not Dmitri's first Stampede, but it was the first one he really enjoyed. He loved being on his parents' shoulders, or grandpa's, watching the band and bouncing around to the beat of the drums. I don't know which instrument caught his interest, so no prediction on whether he'll want to pick one up in school. A grandma can hope.

Valerie bounced between having a good time watching the band and being a bit overstimulated by the crowd. I think she had fun more than not. She's an old pro at Stampede now. I told her marching band was my favorite thing, and she concurred. Not sure on what instrument might catch her eye later in life, or even if she might gravitate towards dance line or color guard. I just hope she wants to give the whole thing a whirl when she is of the right age.

The main show this season is a New Orleans jazz collection. We were in front of trombones, with drum line to our left and trumpets to our right. The sound was amazing. Whoever scored this music had mad skills, and these 'bones sounded like they were as carefully recruited as that new football team. Beautiful brass sound. I could have stayed there all night. I can't afford football tickets this season, now that they're going for 100x what I paid for band tickets a couple years ago, but I sure wish I could watch this band performance. I'd be interested in a YouTube link, if someone has one to pass along.

No comments:

Post a Comment