Friday, September 1, 2023

Thirst Trap

Inspirational song: She's So Cold (The Rolling Stones)

As predicted, I finished the big wooden bowl restoration project. It took most of the day to accomplish, and I'm pleased with the result. I did some final sanding on it with 220 grit, wiped it with a damp microfiber, which raised the grain, so I sanded a final-final time. (This is like naming document files.) 

I had no idea this wood was this incredibly dry. I mean, it was a sponge. What the hell happened to it in the 8 years it sat in a box in my garage (and the unknown years it languished until we moved here)? I poured a huge puddle of Danish oil in the bowl, like a third of a cup. I spread it around with a paper towel, and that thirsty girl absorbed the entire thing by the time I was done swooshing it around. I watched 15 minutes worth of videos, and then went back for a second coat. I didn't pour as much, but it drank it in rapidly as well. I flipped it over onto a cardboard box (thanks, Costco) and did a similar pour on the underside. And another. And a third. Even after three coats, it looked like I'd barely swiped over the surface with a damp cloth. I let it cure for several hours, then dug out a bottle of butcher block conditioner, and slathered that on. It was dry by sundown, and I mean dry. I buffed it a little with steel wool to even the sheen. I can't wait to see this thing in a week or so when it is fully cured. It has so much penetrating oil in it, it will be tough as granite.

Don't mind the picture I took on the stove top. I had just made crepes for the whole family, after grandpa took Val to the climbing gym. The stove was a mess.

I am having way too much fun with this Danish oil. What's next?



No comments:

Post a Comment