Monday, January 1, 2024

With a Little Luck

Inspirational song: Uninvited Guest (Marillion)

Okay, we did all the things. We had a sizeable group of family and friends for a New Years meal. I cooked all the right foods, in excessive quantities. I will be eating black-eyed peas all week. This is fine. I like them. So can we safely express a tiny wish that this year will be okay? In years past, it felt like we came off as hostile, telling the previous years to hit the road, and in our hubris, we claimed that we would absolutely own the upcoming year. We should all know better now. Everyone behave yourselves. Be kind to the exiting year, and be polite to the incoming one. We can't risk it anymore.

We cooked for hours, cleaned for hours after, and babysat until after dark. I'm wiped out. In fact, everyone here is feeling run down now. As long as this doesn't turn into anything more than soreness and fatigue, we will be fine. But as I said above, we are not tempting fate. I intend to go to bed early. I'm making zero predictions, boasts, or threats. Just going to quietly turn out the lights and lie down. Maybe this time it will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment