Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Ope

Inspirational song: Tennessee Waltz (Patti Page)

If you aren't taking time in your day to watch your grandkids sleep, are you even grandparenting? Apparently I'm doing it exactly right, because I had two of them sleeping directly on me, and one zonked out near me over the span of the afternoon. I went to hold Avery while my daughter fed Dmitri and got him down for a nap, and then I went home to find Val waiting for me to show her the rest of Harry Potter, and to present her with the wand I made for her. Poor kid was so worn out from climbing camp that about ten minutes before the end, when Harry made it to the final challenge and faced Voldemort, she fell asleep curled up next to me. She stayed out for an hour and a half until her mommy came to retrieve her. When she realized I was watching something other than Harry Potter by that point, she started to cry just a little, saying aw, I wanted to see the end of the movie!

Today has felt like a very good day for me. Not only are the guessing games over, but I got the answer I was hoping beyond hope for. The places I lurk on the internet felt very welcoming, and I was chatty and gregarious instead of lurking. The hashtag jokes have been flying, and everyone is sharing cutesy stories of "big dad energy." It has been a party.

The next few days will be less pleasant than today. I'm supposed to be on a low-fiber diet ahead of Friday's procedure (ahem), and I'm already sick to death of brown rice pasta. I broke the rules and had a side salad at Rotary and I'm not sorry. At least on prep day it is supposed to be significantly cooler and rainy. So I'll have that going for me. I can drink gallons of herbal tea and not immediately pass out from the heat. For the first time in over a decade, I'm using a prescription prep (in tablet form) instead of my usual store-brand Miralax and Gatorade. Pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment