Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Win or Lose

Inspirational song: Flash (Queen)

Am I ready to get my heart broken again? I've been hiding from sports news, so I don't have any expectations going into football season, but CU's kickoff game is Thursday night. I'm getting anxious. I don't think I have a way to live stream ESPN on TV anywhere, but I'm fine with listening to the game on KOA radio. I don't know if our team has talent and or toughness this year. Will my soul be crushed, yet again? I don't know. Even if that is my fate, I am starting the rituals again. I wore my jersey today. I changed my nail polish to sparkly gold. I wore citrine earrings yesterday (but not the "lucky" pair, choosing instead a pair my stepmother gave me). I'll be superstitious as long as it works. If it lets me down, I'll pick my sad Buffalo heart up and wait for basketball season.

Social media people have declared this a day of remembrance for pets who have crossed the rainbow bridge. I'd love to scroll back and find a picture of Rabbit to post. I was thinking of her today, before I saw the social media trend. Of course, it was while I was standing outside, looking at her apple tree, and being so pleased that it was finally bearing fruit for the first time. And seconds after I had that thought, Beinn trotted up and hiked his leg at the base of the tree. Dammit, dog, can I not have one pure memory? Instead of a picture of Rabbie, I took one of Harvey. White cat, beige cat. I tried.

Game night was small, just four of us playing Dice Forge. First round was one of the worst scoring games we've ever had. Second was amazing. Everyone just about doubled their first scores, and the Mr edged me out by like 3 points. So close. I'm happy to trade losing at Dice Forge for the Buffs winning tomorrow. Can that be a thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment