Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Back to Normal

Inspirational song: Get Back (The Beatles)

Both of Valerie's out of town grandmas have now gone home. She is back down to one grandma to play with. Gee, I hope I can keep up. Just in time for her birthday, she started toddling forward now up to three unsupported steps (in front of the other grandma, not me). She also dramatically increased the complexity of her babble this weekend. I wonder whether she felt pressure to accomplish a bunch of things for her first birthday. Regardless, she did.

As for my own mother's visit, I think this was a very good thing. She hasn't been here since my cancer surgery two years ago, and I'm glad to have her here when she didn't have anything in particular to worry about. She wasn't here to take care of an invalid. She was here just to be part of the celebration. Now she knows directly just how cute the baby is and how silly the puppy is.

It started to rain just as we arrived at the airport this morning. I got mom dropped off with an airline employee who helped her through the process of check in and acquiring transportation through the airport (to make things a bit easier on her). I hoped the weather wouldn't delay her out of Denver. I should have worried more about her connection in Dallas. This time of year is brutal to travel through DFW. Storms roll across Texas and shut down a giant hub airport on the regular. It blows my mind. I once spent the night on the floor in DFW, when they ran out of hotel vouchers and then ran out of cots for all of us stranded travelers. I slept underneath a row of seats, with my head on my suitcase and purse, waking every few minutes. Thankfully my mother didn't have to spend that long at DFW. She made it home about three hours past her original arrival schedule, but had to do a lot of gate switching to finally escape from Texas.

I plan on doing basically nothing tomorrow. And I mean nothing. If I wash a dish or vacuum a single square foot of rug, I will cheer about it and then sit down and treat myself to a rest. It was great having company, but it is also great having quiet time again.

No comments:

Post a Comment