Wednesday, May 26, 2021

No Dice

Inspirational song: Get Together (The Youngbloods)

We did it! We all saw each other face to face on the patio, and it was wonderful! I even got to hug two of my friends who I haven't seen in a year and a half. Y'all, get the vaccine. Real Life is waiting for us, and it's great. 

We had a hard time focusing on the game, because we were so happy to be around a single table again. It might have been a little frustrating for Mr S-P as the game master, but we couldn't stop breaking into side conversations, jumping up to refill plates or mix drinks, and take turns playing with the baby. Two of the guys had either never seen Valerie in person or not seen her other than a brief meeting last summer when we thought lockdowns were ending and that must mean we could meet again. She was on fire, she was so entertaining-- meeting everyone, babbling and giggling, learning that trampolines are bouncy, and leading me to ask her whether she had chosen her Hogwarts house yet (see broom photo).

The game might have been utter chaos, but the hors d'oeurves and drinks were divine. The Ks (how I am trying to refer to neighbors as a group going forward) set out a charcuterie board and had a sautéed cheese with a name I can't recall (something they got at Cheese Importers, that I need to buy for us). I went a little crazy on my side. I made deviled eggs, caprese bites, watermelon salad, and veggies and hummus. I brought gluten-free baguettes and crackers (but the crackers didn't get touched). And I had that homemade lilac syrup for drinks.

I'm exhausted and sore from shopping and making food, but man, I feel good inside. My D&D family is back together, and it is healing my lonely heart. Let me leave you with the drink recipe we came up with for this evening that everyone loved:

1.5 oz gin
1 oz lemon juice
1 oz lilac simple syrup
--shake over ice; strain into glass
--top with mixed berry seltzer water (unsweetened); garnish with 2 blackberries (cut in half) and a mint leaf


No comments:

Post a Comment