Monday, May 24, 2021

Dynamic Disability

Inspirational song: Close to You (The Carpenters)

The way I approach going out into the world has changed, hopefully for the better. I went out this morning and braved the DMV. The line was out the door again, for people who didn't have appointments, but because I was there for a disability accommodation, I was able to go right inside. The kind of ticket I got from the kiosk bumped me up in line even farther, and I was the first one called of the six or so people in the waiting area. I felt weird skipping ahead, but was relieved I would be out of there quickly. 

I was honest with the lady at the desk, that I had no idea what to do or expect. She was super nice and talked me through the process, including how renewals will work. And then I left there with two blue placards, one to keep in the car, and one for my purse when I'm a passenger in someone else's car. 

It is a big unknown, how I will adapt to having good parking. I don't always need it. That is, I don't need it every time I enter a store. But wow, I often need it by the time I leave. It will take an attitude adjustment to allow myself to use it, even on days I know I really, really need it. It's hard, knowing my disability isn't visible, and that it is highly variable. I dread someone challenging me when I use the parking, especially on a day when I'm utterly tired but trying to hide it. I suppose it is a weapon in my arsenal knowing that I will embarrass the fool out of anybody who accosts me about handicapped parking, by forcing them to listen as I tell them way more about my medical history than they are prepared to learn. Hm. Maybe I actually dare someone to try me. FA&FO, so to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment