Thursday, May 6, 2021

Sunny Days

Inspirational song: Hot N Cold (Katy Perry)

A month ago, a bunch of the agents were all gung ho to start having sales meetings in person again. Several said they would be at the office for this month's, if we did it. So I drove up to Fort Collins, and walked into the conference room to find just my boss, sitting in a room with his laptop hooked up to the TV, talking to three agents on Zoom, only two of whom had their cameras on. Sigh. Well, it was nice to see him, anyway. Maybe next month for the others.

After the meeting, I drove out to Costco (the one that has the huge pet section with the great price on the Fresh Pet chicken sausage that Saoirse eats). It is always a dicey thing, going shopping around food when you haven't eaten a bite all day. I was thrilled to discover they finally have the good dried mangos back in stock after years without, and I bought two big bags. I went through almost half of one on the way home. It's probably a good thing I was blissfully stuffing my face with mangos and Terra chips, acquiring some calories to power my brain. Otherwise, I might have wrecked the car when I looked up in lunchtime traffic on Harmony (big east-west artery road) to see a big old Pyrenees head sticking out of a car next to me. I wanted to pull up next to them, and hang my own self out and ask to cuddle their dog. I managed to keep my impulses restrained, but only just. Amazing how fast I went from not knowing the name of the breed Great Pyrenees to wanting to pet every one I see.

It was one of those 300-or-so sunny days in Colorado today. Or rather, one of the very intense sunny days that I don't handle well. Even being in the car for most of it, a couple hours of sun exposure did me in. It was all I could do to carry in my Costco haul, before crashing hard for a long nap. Everything hurt. Gotta love how lupus meds make a pre-existing sun sensitivity a hundred times worse. I had to pass up going over to play with the Grump after I woke up, because even after two hours of off and on sleep, I felt terrible. I've spent the rest of the evening swinging between freezing and overheating, and I had to make a super-bland dinner in order to eat any real food for the day. How is it possible that I used to go to the beach in Charleston? How am I the same person who used to lie out in a swimsuit with my high school friends, trying to get as tan as possible? Now just walking to the car is a lot of sun.


No comments:

Post a Comment