Saturday, May 8, 2021

Hard Work

Inspirational song: Bringing in the Sheaves (Knowles Shaw)

2021 is distinctly better than 2020, even factoring in the two very fine ladies who joined our family last year. This year we are starting to reconnect, as we all get our vaccines, and I tell you, I Am Here For This. I just met the mom of one of our neighbors, and she was terrific. We played Code Names (the board game), and visited over a charcuterie plate. It was great. Tomorrow the guy who was best man at our wedding will pop by. Next week will be more guests, this time for Valerie's birthday, and I just arranged to have company in July. I've put feelers out for more, but have not heard back yet. Folks, if you haven't gotten your vaccines yet, get on that! People are ready to see you too. Make it possible.

I've made great progress on cleaning up ahead of our guests, as much as my body will allow. (I'm doubling up mild muscle relaxers and modest painkillers now, to push through all that needs doing.) My front porch is more clear than it has been in a year, although the yard is ripped to hell. I worked on my living room in 3'×12' sections, and it is nearly done. Some persistent clutter remains, mostly on the piano, but I will be back at it in the morning, as soon as the next baclofen takes effect. I was hoping to have more for the donation bin by now, but I had already gone through this space pretty thoroughly. Next phase will have some to give away, surely.

I failed to include pictures of my first few flower pots yesterday. I always cover the front in containers, but this year I'm going to try to go easy on annual pots and put most of my efforts into the perennial beds. We should finally complete the rock mounds we started last year, that sat abandoned after about July last year. It ought to be easier to finish them now that we have come to terms with the fact we cannot possibly dig out all of the bindweed, no matter how hard we try. That was what stopped me last year, the frustration and agony of breaking apart all the clumps of dirt we dug up to make the mound, trying to sort out all of the bindweed. We will just move on, and pick it out as it grows, because it will do it regardless.

I need to decide whether it's worth it to try to salvage those Adirondack chairs this year. I'd rather have something that takes up less space. I should have bought the teal metal lawn chairs I found the first year we were here. I have regretted that ever since I passed them up at Ace. If I find them again, I will buy them on the spot, no matter what they cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment