Monday, May 3, 2021

Pleasant

Inspirational song: Rainy Days and Mondays (The Carpenters)

The heat has been turned off for a couple weeks. Not as long as in most of the country, but it was snowing hard enough here in April that we still needed it. Once it was off, though, I really wanted to leave it off. I tried. It was cold as heck when I got up this morning, having left most of the windows open when a cold rain rolled in yesterday. I toughed it out most of the day, huddling under microfleece of various constructions. At full dark, I gave in and turned it on. That lasted about three hours. I've decided it was actually more pleasant when it was chilly and rainy. I might even open the windows on another damp night.

While I was sitting under my fluffy blanket, drinking coffee and playing games, visitors walked up in the rain. Our girls were out to deliver a breakfast casserole. The baby was wearing the best raincoat over her jammies, a soft blue with rainbow wings connecting the sleeves and body. I would love a jacket like that. The countdown has begun to her first birthday, in two weeks, and I have no idea yet what I will do for her to celebrate. I get her stuff every single trip to Target or Walmart, as does her mommy, so she isn't hurting for clothes or toys. Maybe this is the best time for me to make my first contribution to her college fund that my stepmother set up. It seems like a more formal gift, something that will benefit her in the long run. 

I did none of the things I was supposed to do today. Didn't call anyone, or send any emails. Didn't clean house, even knowing that there will be out of town family coming in for the birthday (although I don't know whether Val's other grandma will come to my house.) I mostly just listened to the sound of cars going by on the wet streets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment