Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Hang It

Inspirational song: Cat's in the Cradle (Harry Chapin)

Back in the 1970s, when Grandma Lois was teaching me the basics of macrame, it never would have occurred to her to mention how hard it would be to do this craft in the middle of a roomful of cats. I mean really. These little jerks won't leave well enough alone. I'm most of the way through making a plant hanger, the first time I've tried this since I was a kid, and three of the four cats have thoroughly killed the snakes around mom's chair. 

The fourth cat is keeping her distance, which is fine. She is the reason I am doing this project on short notice. A few days ago, I potted up the little spider plant babies that my buddy sent me home with from South Dakota. This morning I noticed the three plantlings were pulled out of the soil, laying on top of it. I put them back in place, and went about my day, cleaning and prepping for Thanksgiving. This evening, as I sat in my chair, absolutely exhausted from cleaning, I heard a super loud smacking sound from behind me. I turned and saw Jackie chowing down on the baby spider plant yet again. She was so in the zone, that she didn't even run off as I jumped up and ran at her, waving my arms and making ridiculous noises of outrage. I plopped them back in water and put them on the kitchen window sill. Then I set about figuring out how to make a good old fashioned macrame hanger.

I have been unwinding the fringe on the bottom of the hanger for close to an hour, while I watch houseplant care videos for fun. If I finish it by a decent hour, I'll post a picture. Just in case I get tired and give up for the night, I have some fabulous pictures of the kids to share as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment