Saturday, November 19, 2022

Take and Make

Inspirational song: Lunatic Fringe (Red Rider)

Pretty sure I ended up in this place last Saturday night. The kids used me up and I had no brain cells left to string together a few sentences. Wait, was that Saturday? That seems like a long time ago. Time has no meaning. I don't know when it was.

I touched up my roots first thing this morning, so that I wasn't heading into holidays with mousey pewter growing out of my scalp while the rest of my red faded into obscurity. I didn't style it at all, figuring it would be kinder to just use a great conditioner and let it air-dry. It was still damp when my friend texted to say hey, send me a picture of your hair for color reference so I can tell my stylist what I want. I felt so bad, having just used a darker shade and wrecked what she said two weeks ago that she wanted to copy. Still, I sent a picture, and I hope her colorist can extrapolate what she actually wants from there.

Since the babies went home, I have been elbow deep in YouTube videos, mostly watching a recent sewing challenge someone issued. A seamstress with a wide following found a vintage Butterick pattern, of the once immensely-popular "walkaway dress," and she challenged all the folks with sewing channels to make it, and time how long it takes to complete. The origin of the name walkaway was that a woman supposedly could start the dress after breakfast, and walk away wearing it to lunch. Looks like production times averaged around 4.5 hours, from the videos I watched. I can guarantee it would take me much longer these days. My fingers are not so nimble anymore and my back rejects long sewing days. But it is a really cute dress. I am sorely tempted to try this. Do I dare?

No comments:

Post a Comment