Friday, March 31, 2023

A Real Stand-up Guy

Inspirational song: Welcome to the Jungle (Guns N' Roses)

Well. We had a good run. Now our peaceful existence is doomed. Completely doomed. 

On Monday, Dmitri finally mastered the forward crawl. He still hates being face down on the floor, but at least he can go the directions he wants now. Today (Friday), he made the next physical leap. He pulled himself to standing, holding on to his rocket car instead of adult human hands. He kind of inched around a little bit, and when his sister ran over to excitedly praise him for standing, he let go with one hand and faced her. Granted it was only a few seconds later that he started getting off balance and toppled both of them over. But he is progressing exactly as I predicted, skimming right through crawling to running, like his grandpa did at that age. 

For the first time, he crawled off of the living room carpet to the tile, and it felt like a huge sea change to me. There was a sort of leaving-home sensation about the whole thing. Suddenly I have a whole lot more floor to keep clear of hazards. One of the first things I did was to take a plant stand and stick it on the porch. It was one of the outside ones anyway. I removed a stack of pots and baskets that was on it, and put it down on the floor, where Dmitri couldn't harm either them or himself with them. I know it has only been two years since Valerie was doing this stuff, but it feels like I'm way out of practice getting the lower quarter of the house child-friendly again.

I'm ending the day watching a series of videos by a Polish YouTuber I really like, over a year's worth of renovating her 1930s flat. I'd like to pretend I have focus for a lot more writing, but really I just want to zone and watch her talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment