Saturday, March 18, 2023

Mellowed

Inspirational song: Head Over Heels (Tears for Fears)

In my misspent youth, which probably ran at least into my early 30s, I had an amazing tolerance for alcohol. I could pack it away and still function normally with very little in the way of a hangover. After about age 35, my ability to metabolize it took a nosedive. My least favorite part about still trying to have a tipple every once in a while is how much it plays with my body's ability to regulate temperature. I have brutal hot flashes. And tonight, after a single heavy pour of red wine to accompany my first attempt at steak Diane (sans poivre), and I'm so mellowed out I could probably tolerate an outpatient surgery with no further anesthesia. I guess the upside is I'm a cheap date now.

Work has been fiddling with my son-in-law's schedule, asking him to stay until 7:30 some nights. I'm not very fond of the change, considering my energy tends to run out around 5:30, but child care duties aren't over so early. Maybe as the boy gains more independent mobility, it won't seem so bad, but for now it is a huge extra effort. I hope the change is short-lived.

Dmitri is getting incredibly good at standing with next to no support. I haven't seen him pull all the way up to standing by himself, but that can't be far off. He's also much chattier than before. Today was his 8 month birthday. He's advanced in some ways, and a little behind in others. That makes him right on target, as far as I'm concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment