Friday, March 17, 2023

Little Hooligan

Inspirational song: Drunken Lullabies (Flogging Molly)

When our daughter was still pregnant with Dmitri, we promised we would give each grandchild some one-on-one grandparents time, once in a while. Valerie has had a lot of opportunities to go out with one or both of us by herself. Dmitri, not so many. Today was the first one I can actually remember, mostly because he is so very present now. (As an aside, his father says there are studies that suggest babies younger than six months old experience synesthesia, feeling multiple senses at once, like tasting color, seeing sound, etc. Once they get a little older, they can separate out each sense, and process better to interact with their world properly. I need to read up on this intriguing idea.)

Valerie was running a fever today, and needed to be wrapped around her mommy the whole day. She stayed home, and mommy took a sick day for her. So grandpa and I took Dmitri to Costco, just like we have done so many times with Val. (Sometimes we would pick her up on our way, just because we could.) There were photos of baby Val's St Patrick's day Costco trip, so to be cute, our daughter dressed Dmitri in the same onesie she wore that trip two years ago. I was told in no uncertain terms that my mission was to get pictures of him in the shopping cart. She didn't make it clear I was matching a pose, so I got him from a different angle. It was still so cute, so I think I'm in the clear.

I can't quite tell whether baby boy understood he was getting focused time while his sister stayed home. He might need to be a little older for that. He seemed to enjoy our trip together, so we can assume future trips will be fun for all involved too. Once we were back home, he again demonstrated that his true developmental goal this month is learning to stand, not crawl. And once we turned on Irish dancing videos for him and his sister (at their home), he showed us he wants to jump and dance, not just stand. Oh, boy. Imagine me trying to support a bouncing brick while he learns balance. He's gonna be something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment