Monday, March 13, 2023

Get Up, Stand Up

Inspirational song: These Boots Are Made for Walking (Nancy Sinatra)

So the legend goes in Mr S-P's backstory, that when he was somewhere in the 8th or 9th month of life, he was totally disinterested in that whole crawling business, and he stood up in the middle of the floor and started running. I'm sure there is a little exaggeration in there. At least I hope there is. I need there to be, because Dmitri seems destined to follow in his grandfather's footsteps. (If you didn't hear that last bit in Kenneth Mars' voice, I don't think we can be friends...)

He has mastered spinning around to face whatever direction he wants on the floor. He can easily get up on his knees. He can get his butt way in the air by doing a downward-facing-dog pose. He just can't master propelling himself forward by sliding his knees the direction he is headed. What he really wants to do is stand, and stomp. It's all he has wanted to do for months now. He did show off a new strength skill today, when he went from being extended face down to sitting up next time I looked at him. I need to watch more closely to see how he managed it.

My babysitting work week ended with everyone feeling pretty good. We were all smiles when the kids left, and I didn't have to just sit like a zombie to recover. Big improvement from the last few weeks when I wasn't feeling my best. Now I hope to get to a lot of my own priorities, things I couldn't do with littles who needed to be held or attended non-stop. They're fun and all, but it's hard to get to the major things like cleaning out the fridge when they are underfoot. If I don't get at least that done in the next three days, I'll have no one to blame but myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment