Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Showing Signs

Inspirational song: Let's Go (The Cars)

"You in danger, girl."
--Oda Mae Brown (Whoopi Goldberg), Ghost

As much as I loved the new setup yesterday, one thing that bugged me was how uneven the hanging plants were at eye level. The 12 inch S hooks I bought at Lowe's were too long, but that was the only size they had. To even out my new plant display, I had to go to the danger zone, where I knew I could buy other sizes. I had to go to Flower Bin.

I rolled up after Rotary, and from my parking spot, I immediately noticed they had begun putting out flowers in the outdoor displays. It's fully spring in most of the country, but here we have several snowstorms to anticipate before it's really planting season outside. Most of what I noticed on my way into the store were early spring flowers, like pansies and violas. I didn't walk through the outdoor section to see more. 

The greenhouse was full of hope. Geraniums are already huge and blooming. I have a special fondness for them, and I can't wait until I'm ready to bring some home. They had rows and rows of other bedding plants, still very much in their infancy. I tried to remember the name of the bright pink Supertunia I wanted so badly last year, that was completely sold out by the time I started looking. They had two called Royal Velvet and Royal Magenta that looked promising, but I know that neither of them were the one from last year. I need to dig through old blog posts or Garden Answer videos on YouTube.

I got my shorter S hooks and got the hell out of there before I went wild on annuals. I have a few financial things to square away before I know this year's flower budget. I know it can't be quite as crazy as last year's overindulgence. I'll need to be creative with single-specimen plantings and moving a few houseplants outside for the season to make it look as lush as last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment