Monday, March 20, 2023

I Like It

Inspirational song: That's the Way (KC and the Sunshine Band)

How many months have I been going on about wanting to hang my plants in the front window now? Long enough that I've had the curtain hangers and pole sitting around for over a month while I begged the Mr to help me put them up on the wall above the window. Over the weekend, he got half of them done, where I had made space by moving out a chair and Saoirse's bed from the spot where we needed to put a stepstool. The other half was dependent on me completely emptying the plant shelf corner, so we could reach the rest.

This morning I decided I would try again to do the difficult overhead stuff that he kept putting off. To make my task easier, I used a nail to bore out a pilot hole, and lo and behold, it made it possible for me to drill screws in straight. This is a surprise, because working with my arms raised above my shoulders and/or with my head tilted back puts undue stress on my spinal cord and makes me start to black out. I've had this trouble for 20 years. So I worked slowly and carefully today, taking lots of breaks down at floor level, and got everything installed. I just about broke down when I test fit the bar, and we had put the outer brackets almost an inch too far in either direction. I had to have my daughter hang out when she dropped off the kids, to give me another 20 minutes of work to complete the job before I had to be full time grandma.

Valerie enjoyed helping me rearrange the plants. She likes watching me water over the sink, when I show her how to soak plants thoroughly and let them drain before taking them back to their place. She remembers some plant names by herself, like the spider plants. Others she repeats as soon as I point them out and name. I cannot express how endearing it is to hear an almost 3 year old properly pronounce "watermelon peperomia." 

No comments:

Post a Comment