Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Fresh Start

Inspirational song: Closing Time (Semisonic)

What a day of big changes. I started off with the regular sales meeting, where I showed my projections of the business I'm starting. After a reasonable and amiable back and forth, it was apparent that my employing broker didn't see the potential revenue outweighing the increased liabilities to keep this business inside the brokerage. I'm not mad. All along, I'd been assuming this would be something I did as a solo act. So I will start tomorrow "consciously uncoupling" from my brokerage and taking official steps to be an independent broker. I'm leaving on very good terms, and I adore these people with my whole heart. I hope I get to interact with them repeatedly in the future.

I had to cut short my participation in that meeting, because it was time to take my young friend in for surgery. This is a happy occasion for all of us (especially them), and we have spent the day celebrating. I stayed as one of J's two support persons the entire day. We arrived at 10:30, and it was almost 6 when we drove off. Everyone loved J's surgery day t-shirt, an 8-bit style rendering of a uterus and ovaries, with the caption, "game over, thanks for playing." The hospital staff were amazing, and very kind when the post-op recovery phase took way longer than expected, while all the sensations of pain and surrounding activities were overwhelming. That is, they were accommodating until shift change, and then suddenly, the new crew was a little more brisk in their hints that we needed to get up and at 'em. They sent me to get the car, and said they'd be happy to help get the patient dressed. I said as we were leaving, it was like what they used to say at last call for alcohol, "you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here."

While J got settled afterwards, and their sister was helping with the med schedule, I ducked out to King Soopers and got a small chocolate cake, just enough for 4 people. We had been saying that this counts as J's new birthday, because their health will improve greatly from here. So I picked up a number candle from the bakery too. I got a zero, to represent the fresh start. We are all getting a clean slate as of today. Yay, us!

No comments:

Post a Comment