Monday, May 8, 2023

Order of Operations Fail

Inspirational song: It's Hard (The Who)

By all rights, my forehead should be covered in deep purple bruises for all the brick walls I've slammed into in the last week. I seriously cannot figure out the order in which I am to create this business. It should not be this hard! I looked at general info on the DORA site (Colorado regulatory agencies) and it said to found an LLC, and then enter that when I apply to have my license upgraded. So I went and founded an LLC. Then I struggled to log into my account, because the wrong password was saved on my iPad, so I tried typing every combo I could think of, and I ran out of attempts and had to wait. I babysat all weekend, and wore myself out too much to deal with it when the kids went home. Today I thought maybe it was a browser issue, so I tried updating the laptop I almost never open, and that took forever--so long that I gave up on it. 

I tried again on iPad, and figured out the right combo. I clicked the application to upgrade my license to independent, and it gave me two options, actual independent and responsible broker, which I guess is a step below employing broker which requires more education. I said pure independent, and moved forward through menus. It asked if I had a trade name or DBA. It also said that the DBA couldn't be linked to an LLC. Call if you don't understand. So I called. The lady ran through a ton of information so fast I couldn't write a single note. I think she said a DBA can't be attached to an LLC, unless I go through a whole bunch of other steps and it costs $700 for that kind of license, or maybe it was to register with the state, or ... seriously, I didn't understand half of what she said. She said there aren't limits on what an independent broker can do, so I could do property management that way. So I tried the application again.

I ran into a page that asked me to upload my errors and omissions insurance info. So I guess I need that first (WHY DIDN'T IT SAY THAT BEFORE) so I tried to go on the site my current brokerage uses. I had to create an account to get a quote, and I figured I'd create a new work email since I'm losing the other one. I'm not even ready to talk about that goof-up. Then I asked for an online quote. All the checked boxes were fine, except the one that asked if less than 10% of my commission income would be from property management. I said no, since that is exactly what I am trying to do. It said I don't qualify for insurance. Are you freaking kidding me?

And I never even saw how much it will cost me to upgrade the license. Ow, my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment