Friday, May 5, 2023

Future Farmers

Inspirational song: School's Out (Alice Cooper)

I was in the middle of picking up the kids when I got a text from the Mr saying his last recitation was canceled, and he was heading towards the bus back home. My daughter (who thinks very much like I do) and I had the exact same reaction at the same time. We started singing the Alice Cooper song above. Well, it went through my head, but she sang it out loud. The Mr still has to do a whole lot of grading for the classes he teaches, and take a couple final exams in the ones he is studying at CU. But scheduled class times are done, and I for one could not be happier. This semester was way too overloaded. I know Murray will be glad that the awful Thursdays are done. Murray had to be left in his wheels for about 12 hours, so that I was able to get him fed and his pills administered. This leaves him vulnerable to much worse saddle sores, which can get infected. Now Mr S-P will have the summer off to make sure Murray is a happy and comfortable doggie. As much as he can be, anyway.

We are doing everything we can to train those grandchildren from the start to be serious gardeners and handymen. Dmitri was watching me from his rocket car while I pulled weeds in the front garden. Valerie helped grandpa burn off tree debris and drag junk out of the neighbor's yard, so that we can get closer to renting it out. She did a great job. She also stunned me with her memory for plant names. I was pointing at one near her bumblebee planter, and saying it was a hoya. She said, "that's the princess." While I sputtered about how she was right, it indeed was the hoya carnosa krimson princess, she pointed at another (unfortunately the wrong one, but still) and said, "and that's the queen." I showed her where I had moved the hoya carnosa krimson queen to. This kid, man. She is scary smart.

I'm still on the hunt for that one specific petunia, that I have been trying to get my hands on since this time last year. I tried Home Depot this morning, and no joy. I tried Lowe's after the kids went home, and still no. I'm going to try the Flower Bin first thing in the morning, and if I cannot find at least one Supertunia Vista Jazzberry, I swear I'm going to order a half dozen of them from the Proven Winners website (assuming I can), and cover my whole yard with them. I don't understand why they just don't seem to show up in my area. Well, if me and the ol' USPS have anything to say about it, they're gonna.

No comments:

Post a Comment