Friday, May 12, 2023

Perseverance

Inspirational song: Survivor (Destiny's Child)

After a week and a half of feeling absolutely immobile, not knowing what to do first, second, or ever to get this business off the ground, I finally made huge progress today. I figured out a string of actions I could do all in a row, and I did them. Well, I started them. A couple need signatures and completed applications. But I am miles down the road, compared to where this week started.

First I created a new email specifically for the business. Next I filed for my tax number through the IRS. I agonized over whether to become an S corporation or remain an LLC only, and today I plunged forward with my decision. I then got myself dressed in going-out clothes (still quite casual), and went to the bank where one of our Rotarians was the manager until pretty much seconds after I decided they were who I wanted for my business accounts. (Damn him for needing to move out of town for legitimate family reasons. The nerve, right?) I filled out forms for two accounts, a business operating one and a trust account for security deposits. I didn't end up staying while they processed everything, so I have pages waiting for my signature in DocuSign that I want to re-read before signing.

The most astonishing part (to me and to people who know my feelings about phones) was when I called the insurance agent one of my besties recommended. They were every bit as wonderful as my friend promised, so that was a relief. But that has resulted in yet more forms to fill out. That wouldn't be so bad if I weren't working with a seven year old laptop that is strongly hinting that its most useful days are long past. I'm trying to work with a shoestring startup budget here. I don't have new laptop money yet. I'm just glad that so far I'm finding ways to process money in and out electronically and run background checks that won't cost me a subscription while I only have one committed client.

To release the tension built up from actually making the hard decisions and interacting with strangers, I walked the front garden and checked out what was surviving. Of only three hostas that returned, two are looking pretty raggedy from the hailstorm. But they are there, and I'm happy they made it. We actually had several kinds of flowers that weathered the storm and began or continued to bloom, even irises. I moved around some outdoor tables, and set more succulents out on the porch. Many of them hated being inside all winter, where they didn't get the conditions they wanted. A bunch of them look three-quarters dead, but as long as they have any life in them, I am going to keep trying to grow them. It's the only thing I know to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment