Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Busy Bees

Inspirational song: No Rain (Blind Melon)

Okay, all those folks who have been mad at me for not showing up to the Rotary socials couldn't be mad at me tonight. Not only was I at a very well-attended party at the new co-president's house, I spent hours with the other co-president shopping at Costco and other places for beverages and supplies for the party. I am now socialed out. It was a lot of fun, with people we haven't seen in a long time in attendance. There was a ton of food, meat supplied by the club, via a well-known BBQ master, and potluck for the rest. We stuffed ourselves silly. Everyone I talked to seemed to have a good time.

I need to make myself turn in soon. My first set of tenants will be coming by early to pick up keys to move in (or I can meet them over there if I get dressed in time to walk over before they arrive). I'm super excited to have this under way. I think these young folks will be good neighbors. When I was interviewing potential renters, I kept front of mind that I wasn't looking for a new best friend, I was looking for who I thought would treat the house best. Pretty sure I picked the right set. Once they are moved in, and the rent is deposited and sent to the owner, I am going to do something to celebrate. Not sure what form that will take, but don't be surprised if it involves sleeping away half the day and doing jack all the rest of it.

I have been watching a water feature I created on the porch, waiting to see it used as intended. This week I got proof that it was the right thing to do. I filled a tall container with rocks (cheap lava rock on bottom, pretty smooth river stones on top), and then kept it full of water. The idea was to provide a bee drinking puddle. I caught one little bee drinking deeply, and it ignored me completely while I took its picture. Now that I know it works, I'm going to do this forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment