Monday, July 24, 2023

Wild Children

Inspirational song: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Richard Strauss)

So. Stinking. Hot. I was really digging the cooler and wetter than normal spring and early summer we were having. I didn't want to join the rest of the country (rest of the northern hemisphere) in record heat waves, but here we are. My only consolation at this point is that Colorado is not also humid. We are being told that next week will be better, and by August first, we could be back under 90 with rain most days. I would take that. 

Kids came over today, because the roommate who has taken over babysitting on Mondays wasn't up to it. Valerie was also feeling off, so we elected not to take her playing in the river. She did perk up midway through, so playing splashy-splashy in the kiddie pool happened. We took Dmitri out too, but he wasn't as into it. He kept climbing out and wandering across the yard, sometimes walking sometimes crawling. Keep in mind this kid was naked. He crawled over the grass and found a beef bone Saoirse chews on sometimes. He grabbed it, and slowly stood up, wobbling a little. He raised the bone and said, "HEH!!" And I died. I called out to Mr S-P, and said I could hear Also Sprach Zarathustra playing. Dmitri stomped over, carrying his bone tool, to where his grandpa was working on the garden fence. He dropped the bone and reached for the cordless impact driver. I guess at that point this naked baby's soundtrack changed to The Blue Danube, right?

This was a hard day to herd wild babies. The heat was one strike. I failed to drink coffee this morning, so a headache was strike two. I've been eating low fiber bland food for a few days, making me feel sluggish. We'll call that a foul ball into the stands. The worst is I can't take my anti-inflammatory meds for days before my "procedure" on Thursday. Strike three, I'm out. I'm not gonna be a good grandma until at least Thursday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment