Thursday, July 20, 2023

Soaring

Inspirational song: Morning Has Broken (Yusuf/Cat Stevens)

This is the day I have waited for. Early this morning, one of the new tenants came by to pick up the keys. They started bringing a few items for the first couple hours, and then showed up with a U-Haul truck to do the big move. We are so happy to see them here. I think so highly of these young people. 

This afternoon, T texted us to ask if they arrived. Because we have that goofy teenager kind of relationship, we shared jokes about being a slum lord ("only if you don't pay for maintenance") and demanding money (pretty sure it was aimed at me, not tenants, but who is to say). I am feeling such a sense of accomplishment right now, and I'm sure T is feeling relief. Well, if he's feeling anything at all, since he did say he was going to celebrate with a wee tipple. We suggested Laphroaig single malt. Another sophomoric inside joke there.

I tried to dedicate my energy to this house, since I had deferred so much while I waited for this day to arrive. Turns out I needed to recharge my batteries a little as well. Once I had a noon nap, I doubled down on tidying. My sheets are clean, my laundry is put away, and bits and bobs are handled. I've developed muscle memory for thinning out my belongings. Another ten shirts and three pairs of pants moved to the donation bin. Every step I took today gets me closer to a clear mind and calm soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment