Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Fresh Games

Inspirational song: Respect (Aretha Franklin)

The first thing Valerie said when she came over tonight was, "you shampooed the carpet." How I love that kid. Yes, I told her, I did. Thank you for noticing. By the time everyone left at the end of the night, it was covered in crumbs and there was a new sprinkle of apple juice on it, but I'm doing everything I can to stay on top of it. I already tidied and vacuumed. I'll look at that juice spot tomorrow to see whether it shows in daylight.

It was another scorcher today. It didn't cool off enough overnight for me to capture much cold when I closed up the house at 7 this morning. I'm not sure, but I think shampooing the rug with cold water and running a fan on it all day helped it stay tolerable inside. It was fine until all the people showed up. We had a relative houseful, all but two of the new D&D players were in person (the others on the phone), plus we also have an extra dog for a week. This is our friend's dog TR who we've sat before. He hadn't had dinner when he arrived, and we didn't realize it at first. He barked in the yard, so we put all dogs in the garage for the sake of the neighbors. TR busted out, came back to the back door, and when we didn't answer his demand immediately, he ate a hole in our screen door to announce his frustration. I guess I'll be fixing that next week once he has gone home.

I'm sprawled out in front of a fan, all windows open (except the back slider, thanks to TR), and the attic fan is chugging away. It feels too hot and muggy to compose anything truly profound. I should go soak myself in cold water and turn the fan speed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment