Sunday, July 9, 2023

Shove It In

Inspirational song: Ride the Tiger (Jefferson Starship)

Babysitting duties were a little different today. Our daughter had a late start to work, and grandpa and Murray took off for the hills, on the build trip that was delayed from last week. Technically I was only needed from 5 to 6:30. So naturally I picked up the family at 1, and we shopped for four hours, so that I was good and tired by the time I was on my own.

I was trying to limit the number of places we went, as we started the day. It was my own fault that I added one big one in the middle. I brought any and all fatigue on myself. We had errands at the hardware store, beauty supply, Target, and grocery. I was the dummy who thought a long walk through Marshall's halfway through that sounded appropriate. By the time we were done at King Soopers, I was limping along pushing the cart with Dmitri in it, profusely thanking the young man who offered to help carry the two bags that didn't fit back in the cart to our car. It was quite a trick to shove everything into the trunk. As it was, we had to dump a giant pack of paper towels between the kids in the back seat.

The kids were so fed up with shopping on the trip home. Dmitri fussed the whole way, and Valerie clearly expressed how it made her angry to be rushed getting into the car. (I don't mean that sarcastically. She is always encouraged to explore her emotions and let us know what she is feeling. We acknowledged her anger, but explained mommy was late to work and sometimes we have to be helped with sitting in the car seat and buckling in when we aren't moving quickly.) I'm pretty sure that fatigue and hunger were playing a big part with their discomfort as well. We settled into their living room, had snacks (goldfish for them, GF chocolate chip cookies for all of us, some of them smeared all over me), and watched some screens. Things got a lot better from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment