Sunday, July 16, 2023

Eleven

Inspirational song: Senses Working Overtime (XTC)

This whole day went to eleven. I'm having a bad pain day that won't quit. As soon as I post this, I'm going to take something that will help numb it and go straight to sleep. 

On Tuesday I told my rheumatologist what the ophthalmologist said, that for the sake of my eyes, there is a limited amount of time I can take Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine). He gave me a number of years, the exact figure forgotten since this spring. It made me worry that I'd have to switch to scarier maintenance meds, like a biologic that could suppress my immune system much more. The rheumy assured me that was old medical theory, and they don't do that anymore. I'm also starting to question the eye doc's insistence that I use Restasis eye drops. I find myself disturbed by eye strain and burning all the time lately, and I can't stand to read or watch screens at times like this. It feels a lot like when the Canadian wildfires were particularly bad here, and I have to keep my eyes closed more than is practical.

I had to go to Walmart before heading over to babysit the kids at their house. I noticed a smell somewhere in that process, something that didn't bother me before I started regularly taking a dietary supplement that keeps my zinc levels up. I believe that has reversed a decades-long dulling of my sense of smell. I have been trying to remember for hours what it was that smelled way worse than I had ever noticed until lately, both so I could avoid it and so I could talk about it here. I'm going to give up on pulling that detail from an over stressed short-term memory.

I calmed a lot of my muscle soreness by aggressively massaging in lotion on my lower legs and arms, and on my face and scalp. It went a long way to helping me survive after quitting my massage membership this year. The Mr pulled out his percussion massager this afternoon, and Harvey decided the little purring gun thingy would be an ideal tool to pet the kitty with. I guess everyone around here needs a little extra care today.

No comments:

Post a Comment