Saturday, July 1, 2023

Comprehension

Inspirational song: It Must Be Love (Madness)

I wish I knew what movie scene was playing out in Valerie's mind as I approached her in Lowe's. She reached out with her hand, and waited for me to take it. Whatever it was, she meant it so earnestly. Of course I played along.

We didn't necessarily have to take the kids today, as their daddy had the day off work. But if we had errands to run at Lowe's and Costco, we might as well have company with us. Grandpa had to buy supplies for the very specialized ladder to the loft at the cabin, and I needed a replacement piece of drapery hardware. That turned into well over an hour of wandering the aisles, together and separately, loading up a cart with hinges, a new chainsaw blade, two large Hoyas, and a handful of ground cover type perennials to plant with the kids tomorrow.

It is delightful to watch these kids interact with each other. I swear they speak twin language, even though there is a two year age gap between them. They absolutely love each other, and that is apparent in all they do. Dmitri has gotten old enough to understand what is going on around him and respond in a thoughtful way. His words are still mostly vowel sounds, but I'm recognizing patterns. I know when he looks over his shoulder at me and says, "Ama, at," that he is saying, "Grandma, cat." Valerie can ask him questions and he giggles and does things she suggests, like shaking his head back and forth to get dizzy. I know I say every age is a fun age, but for real, this is a fun age.

No comments:

Post a Comment