Saturday, July 29, 2023

Competing Centers of Attention

Inspirational song: Valerie (Steve Winwood)

I'm coming up against a hard break, as they say in radio broadcasting. I'm doing a lot of touch-and-goes, and in minutes I am going to be fully asleep. Words are already hard to find these days. Tonight they are as elusive as Bigfoot and Nessie combined.

Once the kids came over, we tore into the box that Auntie sent for Dmitri's birthday. Dmitri struggled with the idea that he's allowed to rip this tissue paper off each item. Usually when he's this harsh on paper, someone comes along to take the paper away from him. Valerie was all too eager to help open each thing, holding up gifts and insisting, "This one is for meeeee!" Girl, you got a box of glitter crayons and a Disney princesses coloring book. Let the little man have his birthday. But when you're three, it's still hard to imagine other people get the same kind adoration like you think is your sole purpose in life. Kid had a pretty good haul for a one-year-old, even if his sister was there trying to claim half of it.

We went to visit with the Mr's family this evening. One of his cousins and her family were in town, and we did a potluck at my sister-in-law's place. This was pretty low-key, just a taco bar and desserts. Ours were the only very young children there. No others of their generation. But as my sister-in-law frequently babysits her grandkids of similar ages, there were plenty of toys and plenty of mommies to help keep an eye on them. I believe I can say with confidence that we all had a good time, even if Val was playing drama queen (and it was really just a game for her). Dmitri loved the attention too.

We had to wind through some side residential roads to get the kids dropped off and get home. Main Street was clogged up, and when I couldn't move more than half a block during a single light cycle, I recognized what was happening. This is the weekend they do a big car rally, and get everyone with a classic car, muscle car, hot rod, rat rod, or monster truck to cruise Main. Folks line the sides of the road for miles, with lawn chairs and picnic snacks. I bet I'm going to be hearing the roar of engines all night long, as I live just a few blocks from Main, at a convenient turnaround spot. It has mostly died down now, but I know better than to expect calm and quiet.



No comments:

Post a Comment