Friday, August 18, 2023

Ex X

Inspirational song: Careless Whisper (George Michael)

Maybe it's because I'm on day 2 of this migraine, but the few things I accomplished today feel like they've had an outsized effect on the functionality and flow of my surroundings. I'd had a pile-up of things to address around my bedside table, that made the whole room look and feel messier than I could handle. I had a half-full storage bin that needed to be emptied and swapped to hold the antique ewer and basin I took from my bathroom. I had packing materials tossed in the corner with all of that. And I had misery. I sorted the bin, filled an old Walmart bag full of crap from it (mostly sewing projects that were never done in 6-7 years) and made the swap. I can't express the joy I felt from carrying that cubic foot of tightly packed fabric and trash out to the can in the alley. I kept going in my room, hanging a much-loved pottery piece on the wall, and changing where a plant resided. The changes are small, but the relief is enormous.

Another cleanup I did freed up no physical space, marginal digital space, and a universe of emotional space. I uninstalled the former bird app from my phone. I'd already deleted it from my iPad, but I let it stay buried in my phone (not home screen), in case I needed an old DM or something. Now I am free. Am I still an ex-X user if I refused to use it a single time once the name changed? It's amazing how quickly I went from checking it 100 times an hour to deleting it without a moment of regret.

For the most part of the day I took it easy. My tummy was pretty fragile, and the lightheaded feeling from yesterday was back. Between the migraine and the heat, I had no intention of exerting myself. The forecast keeps changing to add extra days of extra heat, so I expect several more days like this, even if the migraine clears up. September is coming, though, so it has to break soon.

One thing that's fun about these brain events (no, seriously) is that it changes how I hear music. I can pick out different instrumentation easier, and follow multiple melodies and countermelodies better. I played with that a little after a nap, by turning on a video of 80s songs done in a medieval bard core style, and letting it play in the background while I did other things. Turns out some of these really translated well with that treatment. Quite fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment